This week has been full of amazing progress from all of the students. We have mastered our first 5 sight words and the -at and -an word families. I cannot begin to express how proud I am of my students. They continue to amaze me every week. I have added a small video of two of our students reading. I would've added more, but for some reason the sound didn't record right for the others. I'll make sure to add a video of each student over the next few posts so all parents can watch their child. I hope you are enjoying watching your child become a reader as well. Each day the students are so excited to learn more and grow as readers. They're finding sight words and words that they can read in all of our stories and during center time when they go to our classroom library. I can't wait to see how well they're doing by the end of the school year.
As well as becoming growing readers, they're growing as writers as well! This week we read If I Ran the Zoo by Dr. Seuss. March is reading month, so we make sure we read at least one extra book a day. The students have been wanting nothing but Dr. Seuss, so I thought it would be fun to do a writing activity with it. After reading the story I asked each child to draw what type of animal they would have if they owned a zoo. The animal could be real or make believe. After drawing their animals I had them write ______'s Zoo and then list what animals they had. I did NOT help with their spelling. I am working with them to try and sound out and "stretch" words so that they can work on their spelling. There are stages of development that go along with writing. As you look at the different pictures you can see how they are progressing as writers. They were very proud to be writing on their own. No, the spelling is not correct on all words and they are missing vowels, but this is a stage in writing. They are doing excellent and I'm very proud of how well they are doing with their writing. We will be doing many more writing activities as the year progresses.
Don't forget we will be having a fundraiser dinner this Friday March 23 at the school. There will be speakers, a comedian, and the students will be doing a small activity for everyone. I hope to see you there. I have said this before and will say it again. I am very happy to be working for this school. I have never worked with such supportive parents and amazing students. I look forward to everyday that I get to work with them. I hope you have a wonderful week and enjoy our pictures and video!
 |
| Here are Abdulhamid & Yunis Reading! |
|
|
 |
| These are our zoo writings. |
|
|
 |
| Our class hand with all our names inside. |
No comments:
Post a Comment